|The farmhouse and garden are also available for special occasion rentals.|
One block from the Plaza at 291 First Street East stood a little white wood frame farmhouse and long-neglected garden that was built about 1910. Walking or driving by, you may not really notice it, but Sonoma old timers know that this was the home of Henri Maysonnave.
The property once belonged to General Vallejo. Next it passed to the Buclis and later was purchased by Henri Maysonnave. The house just past the front porch are a parlor, a library, a kitchen, a dining room, and two additional rooms beyond that. In back are a veranda and a small garden.
The only alterations made by Mr. Maysonnave made by were to enclose the front porch after he developed tuberculosis, and to add a half bathroom, so the building is almost completely original.
In 1989 Henri died. His will contained two memorable requests. One was that his body be driven around the Plaza one last time and the other was that his home be willed to his beloved City of Sonoma, stipulating that it be used for art, cultural or museum purposes. Recognizing the historica value of the property, the Sonoma League for Historic Preservation secured a long-term lease from the City of Sonoma for Henri's house. In 2008 the League completed restoration of Henri's house and renamed it The Heritage Center at Maysonnave House. The grand opening took place on what would have been Henri's 85th birthday on September 27 with a wonderful country dinner attended by 250 people.